Mod 3 Breath Practice 1: The Coherent BreathJun 23, 2023
Y4PS Breath Practice 1: The Coherent Breath
- Sit in any comfortable, upright posture on a chair or the floor
- Lift the crown of your head a little bit to ensure that your spine is long
- Rest your hands comfortably on your lap, palms up or down
- Before you practice each technique, take a “falling out” breath: a single full inhale through the nose, followed by a relaxing siiiiiiiigh out through the mouth
- As you sigh out the breath, relax anywhere in your body where you feel excess effort or tension
Technique 1: Coherent Breath
The Coherent Breath involves simply counting your breath as you breathe in and out in a relaxed manner. Watch the video below or read on for written instructions.
Read these instructions below fully on how to master the Coherent Breath technique, and then practice.
- Breathing in and out through your nose, notice the pace of your breath
- Taking your time, count “1, 2, 3, 4” on the inhale, and “1, 2, 3, 4” on the exhale (however long your inhale and exhale are, give them four counts each)
- Let each inhale be comfortably full and deep, without any extra effort
- Continue to breathe in this manner for 5 minutes
- Return to breathing without counting and notice how you feel in your body and mind
Journal Y4PS Breath Technique 1: The Coherent Breath
- What did you notice about your practice of this Coherent Breath practice?
- What did you feel in your body/mind before the practice? After the practice?